BERRY DELICIOUS CUPCAKES
Looking for a summery cupcake. Try these chocolate cupcakes with a berry icing.
Best Ever Chocolate Cupcakes
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (best quality available)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (best quality available)
1 cup boiling water
1) Line muffin tin with paper liners. Heat oven to 350*F.
2) In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3) Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for one minute.
4) Stir in boiling water. The batter will be thin.
5) Fill liners 2/3 full with batter. (I usually put the batter into a large measuring cup with a pour spout, and then pour the batter into the liners.) Bake cupcakes for approximately 18-22 minutes.
Berry Icing Recipe
1 cup blackberries
1/2 cup Saskatoons
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup butter
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 cups icing sugar
Directions: In a small saucepan combine berries and lemon juice. Cook for a few 2-3 minutes over a low heat then mash the berries. Using a fine strainer strain the berries to get 5 tablespoons of juice. Now in a medium bowl combine butter, icing sugar, salt and berry juice. Using an electric mixer beat until an icing forms. Continue beating until light and fluffy. This icing is always a lovely pink colour.
Place a Raspberry, Saskatoon, and Blackberry on top of the icing.