Gum-Tex™ Tylose Powder. Add Strength and elasticity to your gum paste.
This is a recipe using tylose from the Icing Cook Book ICING ONLY also available from J. Wilton. We also sell the best gelatin. So easy to use and strong.
3 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
3 tablespoons lemon juice (strained)
5 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon glucose
6 cups icing sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Tylose or CMC powder
- In a small microwavable bowl combine gelatin, lemon juice, and water. Stir with a fork, then microwave for 40 seconds on high until it looks like runny honey.
- In a medium bowl combine icing sugar and Tylose powder and mix well with a fork. Divide this mixture into two portions.
- Pour the gelatin/lemon juice mixture into one portion of the icing sugar/Tylose mixture. Stir with a fork.
- With your hands, in the same bowl, mix in the rest of the icing sugar/Tylose mixture.
- Take smaller portions of the gumpaste and knead it in your hands.
Notes: Wrap the gumpaste in plastic wrap or in a air-tight container and it will be ready to use in 1 hour. When using this gumpaste put shortening on your hands to make the gumpaste more workable. It also works well in silicon molds.